At Oaktree Lodge we are actively committed to minimise the impact of our business upon the environment without compromising Quality, Comfort, Safety or Hygene.
As a symbol of our commitment we have joined the green tourism business scheme which provides accreditation and advice, by implementing as many sustainable practices as possible we hope to ensure the continual natural beauty of Northumberland, There are things we know we can do better and we are working on, If you have any suggestions we would be delighted to hear from you.
Here are some of the things we are working on:
- Green Energy – We are committed to producing upto 33% of our own energy usage by the installation of 3 Wind Energy turbines.
- Reduce Waste & Recycling – glass, plastic, cans, aluminium, paper, cardboard, Used linen duvets, pillows, towels donated to PDSA.
- Energy & Water Efficiency – Using low energy bulbs, turn off standby switches, turning down/off radiators between lets, purchase of A rated appliances, dual flush toilets, and from Jan 2010 we will record monthly the energy and water usage with a view to further improve.
- Responsible Travel – Encourage use of Public transport with timetables and information available, also encourage walking & Cycling.
- Support Local Business – shopping locally and minimize use of business car by walking, Organic and free range food purchased locally
- Support Ethical Practices – Fairtrade products used where possible
- Supporting Local Community – Our adopted charities are PDSA whitley bay and Cullercoats lifeboat station
- Natural Gardening – e.g. Planting to encourage wildlife, composting waste, water butts to catch rain run off for watering
- Minimise Food Waste – Cook to order and encourage guests to pre order preferences
- Continually look at ways to improve our commitment to green issues
We Hope you enjoy your stay with us, and fully encourage our guests involvement.
See how you can help by reading our Visitors Charter, this is not compulsory and we thank all our guests for there continued support.